Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How to Paint a Metal Filing Cabinet for under $40

My first project in my new home office was updating an awful old black metal filing cabinet.  I got a two-drawer filing cabinet for free on Craigslist, but it was covered in tape residue and dings.  I decided to paint it, and luckily I found some online DIY tutorials that didn't require spray painting.  I'm TERRIBLE at spray painting!  It's so easy to mis-spray (I should post a picture of my dining room table, covered in white spray paint, from my last project) and you need proper ventilation.  Ugh.  I did NOT want to lug my heavy filing cabinet outside.  Plus, it was raining on the day I did my project.

I used regular satin latex Benjamin Moore Paint in Peacock Blue 2049-40, white cabinet paint and Latex paint primer,.  To save some dough, buy a pint or sample size of your secondary color.  Mine cost only $8 but has a huge impact (or at least I think so!).

So here's a step by step:

1. Empty your filing cabinet.
2. Remove all hardware and lay aside.
3. Use Goo Gone and soap and water to remove any grime.
4. Wipe down cabinet and drawers with a dry rag.
5. Put Cabinet and drawers on a tarp.
6. Prime drawers and body of filing cabinet with regular latex primer, deposited with a cabinet paint roller.
Keep priming until the original color is covered up (to cover black I used three coats).
7. Wait 1 hour for primer to dry.
8. Paint!  Use a cabinet roller to paint even coats of whatever colors you choose.  Don't pile too much paint onto the roller because you'll get drips.  It's better to roll a few thin coats on until you get the desired coverage.  The blue took about 2 coats, and the white took three.
9. After the cabinet and drawers are dry, reattach the hardware.
10. Put the drawers back in.  Wait a full day before placing anything on top of the cabinet to avoid denting the paint.  Et voila!  Your brand new cabinet!

Cost of this project:

Filing Cabinet: Free
Blue Paint (Pint): $8
White Cabinet Paint (Quart): $14
Latex primer (Quart): $12
Paint Rollers and Tray: $4.98

Total: $38.98




Look for future posts where I use the same paint, primer and paint roller, making this project even cheaper!

1 comment:


  1. Total Corporate Services Pty Ltd, a commercial equipment importer, supply cleaning equipment and office equipment for many years in Australia. Covering a variety of equipment such as wet and dry cleaners, backpack vacuums, auto scrubbers, metal stationary cabinets and metal lockers etc.

    wet dry vacuum cleaner

    ReplyDelete